For all the slack it gets, snacking is actually healthy, people! Grabbing a little snack in between meals can boost your metabolism, provide needed energy to get you through the workday, and help you control your portions during meals. Of course, nibbling on Twinkies isn’t going to lead to a set of thinner thighs, but a few almonds to tide you over till lunch? Sure! Here are a few snack items we’d recommend to our SunPoint Fitness clients.
Snacks for Dieting & Weight Loss
If your primary goal is to shed some Ls and Bs through dieting, try these munchables on for size:
- Apples – An apple a day can keep the calories at bay. With the skin on, apples have up to 5 grams of dietary fiber, which promotes better digestion and “regularity.”
- Celery – As one of those “negative-calorie foods,” celery is almost entirely made up of water (with some vitamins and fiber thrown in, for good measure). Your body will burn more calories digesting the roughage than it absorbs, which translates to weight loss.
- Grapefruit – Containing up to 60% water, grapefruits are another excellent snacking option. What’s best, this citrus has tons of pectin to satiate your appetite and improve heart health.
- Kale Chips – If you can get over its mowed-grass flavor, kale is a tremendously versatile snack food. Packed with vitamin A, C, and K, fiber, and antioxidants, kale chips are great alternatives to the traditional oily Lays.
- Edamame – Steamed edamame (soybeans) with a sprinkling of salt is a tasty yet healthy choice if you’re looking for something to munch on. It is rich in antioxidants that aid in weight loss and improve blood sugar levels.
- Carrots & Hummus – A favorite of many, hummus makes anything delicious, including beta-carotene-packed carrots (carotene, carrot—whoa). Hummus is also quite low in calories and high in protein, so you’ll fill up faster and stay that way until the dinner bell.
- Almonds – These nuts are a weight-watcher’s go-to snack for a reason: they’re loaded with protein, regulate cholesterol, improve heart health, ramp up your immune system, and satisfies even the largest appetites.
Snacks for Bulking Up (Post-Workout)
After a strenuous workout, you may notice an increased craving for sugar. But put down that donut; your body is actually begging for protein, not sugar! Try these, instead:
- Peanut Butter – Even a spoonful of PB can push your body into the workout mode. It is rich in protein, carbs, and healthy fats to keep your body energized and aid in post-workout digestion.
- Hard-Boiled Eggs – Just one egg can give you 20% of your daily protein. They contain every essential amino acid your body could want, as well as vitamins, magnesium, and calcium. To cut down on cholesterol intake, toss the yolk and chomp down on another hard-boiled egg white, instead.
- Chocolate Milk – Milk may not be your ideal drink of choice after exercising, but studies show that chocolate milk can aid in workout recovery. Just 8 ounces of chocolate milk provides enough B-complex vitamins, calcium, vitamin D, carbohydrates, and protein (8 grams) to do your body good.
- Cottage Cheese – Aside from being delicious, cottage cheese is also a great source of glutamine, an essential amino acid that helps joggers and other endurance athletes recover from a workout. About 1 cup after exercising should help with muscle repair and hydration.
- Greek Yogurt – Mixed with chia seeds, cereal, or oats, Greek yogurt is a delicious snack to accompany your workout bliss. It has two or three times the amount of protein as traditional yogurt, lots of carbs, and micronutrients to battle muscle fatigue.
- Lean Meat – A boiled chicken breast or un-modified slice of deli turkey can work wonders after you’ve hit our Olathe gym. Pair it with a variety of fresh veggies and brown rice for a full complement of nutritious value.
Best Health Food Stores Near Kansas City
Although finding these snack foods is never difficult, spotting a good health food store around Kansas City might be. Check out these local organic and natural food stores the next time you go shopping:
- Natural Grocers (Olathe, KS) – Their products range from organic produce to dietary supplements, and you’ll always see a smiling face at the check-out counter.
- Whole Foods (Olathe, KS) – Whole Foods is known as the “Rolls Royce of healthy eating.” At their Olathe location, you’ll find non-GMC produce and meats, local produce, seafood, and much more.
- Green Acres Market (Kansas City, MO) – Located in Downtown KC, the Green Acres Market is a quaint spot to shop. They frequently stock raw snacks, salsas, homegrown fruits, and other healthy snacks.
- Sprouts Farmers Market (Kansas City, MO) – With olive bars, fresh sushi, and many locally grown meats and produce, this indoor farmers market is a great addition to Kansas City. Buy your healthy snack items from those local to KC!
Of course, if you ever need help choosing healthy snacks, planning meals, or identifying the best workout supplements, head to SunPoint Fitness! Our personal trainers and nutrition experts will help you get on track and ready to see results. Call us at 913-945-1661 or stop by our Olathe boutique gym to learn more about our Magnum Nutraceutical supplements, group fitness classes, or one-on-one personal training sessions.